We find that speed problems are generally due to the local ISP connection or local internet access setup (e.g. where a proxy server is used) and so are unfortunately outside of ProofHQ’s control.
That said, there are a few steps you can take to check your connection speed which will allow for the root cause of the issues you are experiencing to be determined. Please note that all these steps are equally important for the troubleshooting process and we would encourage you to take the time to gather information on all of the listed steps to ensure the most accurate diagnosis of the problem.
Once you gather all the details, we would recommend that you consult with your local IT department, as the team should be able to identify any local issues. If you need further help in the matter, please contact our Support Team.
Determining which exact part of the system is slow is the first step in troubleshooting speed issues. When you report ProofHQ being slow, please remember to describe the following:
- are you experiencing slowness in any other webpages?
- does the problem occur in the Dashboard or ProofHQ Viewer?
- which exact part of the system is slow? (e.g. processing a new proof or opening a comment in ProofHQ Viewer)
- Type tracert app.proofhq.com - for Windows or traceroute app.proofhq.com - for Mac/Linux
- Wait for the traceroute to be completed
- Next type ping app.proofhq.com (for Windows only)
- Wait for the ping to complete and then right click in the command prompt and Select All
- Hit Ctrl+C or Cmd+C (Mac)
- Go back to the reply to your email and paste the results into the message
- Click here to access Speedtest.net and click on the "Begin Test" button (1). Speedtest.net will automatically select the server with the lowest ping time. This means you will be connected to the closest server from a computer networking perspective.
- Once the Download speed and Upload speed test is complete, click on the "Share this Result" button (2)
- Click on the "Copy" button (3)
- Paste the results into an email you will be sending to the Support Team about your speed issues (do not send the email yet)
- From the same page that you are on click on the "New Server" button (5)
- Use the rectangle locator on the map (6) and the zoom tool (7) to locate Chicago on the map (8) and select "Chicago, IL" as the server location to check the speed between your location and our server location. This will begin the test.
- Once the Download speed and Upload speed test is complete, click on the "Share this Result" button (9)
- Click on the "Copy" button (10)
- Paste the URL into the email you've created earlier
To check the loading times for a webpage:
- Open your browser’s console and the Network tab
- Re-load the page
- Take screenshots or record a screencast of the results
- Share the results with the Support Team
If you don’t know how to open the console in your browser, please see these recorded steps:
Checking whether you experience the same problem with connection speed using a different device or network is a crucial step in the troubleshooting process. Please try switching to a different machine or a mobile device, as well as try using alternative network (e.g. mobile data).
Compare the connection in different combinations: using a different machine on the same network, using the same machine on a different network and using both alternative machine and network, then share the results with the Support Team.